Welcome!

Hi, my name is Melissa. Pour yourself a cup of tea and stay a while. I'm completely devoted to my Savior, madly in love with my husband, and joyously raising my daughters. I'm so glad you stopped by and I hope you enjoy your time here!

Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Me and My Great Ideas: Portable Watercolor Palette

My poor husband indulges me endlessly with my crazy ideas! He supports me like crazy, but I have a feeling he feels like this more often than not...


So my latest idea comes from my desire to pursue my long forgotten love of drawing. I want to learn more about watercolor, especially with regards to painting nature. So I got it in my head a few weeks ago how great a little portable palette set would be. So off I went searching and scouring. Trying to find cheap, but questioning if they were any good. Then I stumbled upon "do it yourself" palettes. I found one I liked and off I went! 


I'm incredibly pleased with how this turned out! 


I'm well known for saving any little container I can. You never know when it will come in useful to store something! This is one I've had for ages, maybe since high school? I honestly have no remembrance of its origins. It has something to do with Coke because that's what is on the inside, but otherwise I'm clueless! I've seen a variety of little boxes used, but I was looking for something compact, but not too compact, metal, and close-able. I don't care it's a bit banged up and dented. 


So based on the idea from the blog post I found on pinterest I used hotglue to create a divided palette. I lined the bottom with tin foil because I wasn't sure how well the glue would stick to the container. I made 3 layers total of my grid and had this sweet little palette when I finished. 


I then filled in each compartment with liquid watercolor. You can see some of my colors are a little old, but I don't care. I'm not trying to sell my art or anything. This is just for my own personal joy. 

I read a fantastic article a few weeks ago about how people are getting away from artistic endeavors which simply bring joy because they are so concerned about perfection and mastery. I am choosing to enjoy art and painting without desiring to become a master! 



Next I mushed the paint into the corners so it would fill the spots. I started with a brush to do this, but ended up using tooth picks. 


Next I made little labels identifying the colors of my palette so I know what they look like and their names. 



I painted the lid white, stuck on my labels, and glued in some bottle caps to make color mixing areas. It's now sitting up on a shelf drying out because the idea is to have dry pigment rather than wet. I think it's just adorable and I can't wait to give it a try! It will be a few days while it dries, but I'll post some art I create using this fun little tool! 

Have you created something recently? 

2 comments:

  1. This article might jog your memory about that coke tin. Had a little extra time. I was intrigued. Yes, this is what I do on my Christmas break! lol LOVE LOVE LOVE this portable pallette!! https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1999-06-02-9906020138-story.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!!!! You are incredible! I am a researcher as well and love looking up odditiies, but didn’t think about doing so with this! Thanks so much for your research and the article link! Looks like that was from my freshman year of college. So funny!

      Thanks for your encouraging comments too! I hope you had a great Christmas break!

      Delete