Welcome!

Hi, my name is Melissa. Pour yourself a cup of tea and stay a while. I'm completely devoted to my Savior, madly in love with my husband, and joyously raising my daughters. I'm so glad you stopped by and I hope you enjoy your time here!

Saturday, September 22, 2018

Peek at Our Week: September 17-21

We started off the week a little differently... Hurricane Florence did not affect us over the weekend as much as we expected. It did however cause some flooding in our area that kept me home from teaching my English class. It was very strange to be home on a Monday! 


The main road leading from our neighborhood into town is now closed until a repair can be made, but that is the only lasting inconvenience. Every time we see the detour sign and have to drive about 8 minutes out of our way I take a minute and pray for those so much more affected. We are grateful that we are not currently in recovery mode, but are praying for those who are. As I said last week, we've been there. We know how hard and frustrating it can be. 

Photo Credit: NPR
 So last week my kids were all about making the jokes because we didn't take off from school like our neighbor's kids did! They had all of these, "Mommy makes us do school even when...." statements. We all laughed, but they aren't wrong most of the time! We have school unless we have a reason to miss. 


Here is the rundown from our year so far with Heart of Dakota...

Grace: Preparing Hearts for His Glory Unit 2
We are currently running half-speed and will finish unit 2 next week. I'm thinking this will be the last week of half-pace for her. She's doing great and is ready to handle the guide full speed. 

She has chosen Anatomy for her personal study time and loves it! She has wanted to be a nurse since she was 5 and wanted to pursue this a little more. She's reading one of the Chronicles of Narnia for literature and is learning about larger place values. 

Beth: Hearts for Him Through Time - Creation to Christ Unit 33
Beth is soooooo close to finishing! We are working hard and will be done really soon. She's ready to move on and I think the next guide will be really good for her. She's worked through ancient history more than once now through the various guides and she is just ready to get to some new things. 

Beth is reading A Wrinkle in Time for literature. She's enjoying it, but I don't plan on watching the movie with the girls. I'm not thrilled with what I have heard about the changes made to the original story. I don't usually like the film version of books! She's learning about converting units of measurement. 

Rose: Hearts for Him Through Time - Revival to Revolution Units 21-23
Yes, you read that right. We got slowed down last year for a variety of reasons and she really wanted to get through this portion of history. So we decided to go ahead and shift our way of doing things. We are skipping a lot. Yup. I'm not following the guide letter-by-letter! The important thing for me is that she reads all of the books, and she is. 

Rose asked if she could study a high school English course this year. I told her yes and we would see how it went. She is THRIVING! I'm so glad I listened to her and moved her into this course. She's writing excellent essays every week and devouring books like Beowulf and Macbeth. In math she is continuing through our Pre-Algebra course. 


We had the chance to visit Old Salem! Click on the picture above to read more about it! 

I would love to hear more about your week! How was it? See what my Crewmates are blogging about here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment