Welcome!

Hi, my name is Melissa. Pour yourself a cup of tea and stay a while. I'm completely devoted to my Savior, madly in love with my husband, and joyously raising my daughters. I'm so glad you stopped by and I hope you enjoy your time here!

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

UnLock Pre-Algebra from UnLock Math: A TOS Crew Review

UnLock Math
 
When I talk to my homeschool mom friends, we almost all agree that math is one of the most intimidating subjects to teach. What is intimidating in elementary school is even a greater challenge in middle and high school! Math has never been the easiest subject for Rose and I'm always excited to try new approaches. Even though mathematics is not her favorite subject, Rose is always ready to try new things and approached UnLock Pre-Algebra from UnLock Math with an open mind, eager to see how this program worked. 
 
UnLock Math pre-algebra
 
I appreciate very much that Rose could work at her own pace. We had already begun to address pre-algebra topics, but they haven't stuck very well...until now. We are working a bit slowly through the program because that is what is best for her at this season, but she is thoroughly enjoying each lesson!
 
 
When I asked her what she like about it, she told me that the lesson videos explain things very clearly and concepts she has not yet understood began to become clear. We have found that having someone other than myself or her dad explain a topic feels less intimidating. I don't really understand the reason behind this, but I'm grateful when I find a quality curriculum that gives her this opportunity. She also likes that the assessments are short and to the point.
 
One thing I like about this program is if she struggled, she could re-watch any video she needed to. We took advantage of this a couple of times. Sometimes because we were interrupted with "life" events which were uncontrollable and it was a good way to review. Other times it was because the assessment revealed she needed the instruction given once more. Both are typical reasons homeschooling families need this option, and it is important to be able to do so easily. 
 
 
While our current curriculum is not computer-based, I have found this to be a perfect fit for my oldest daughter. I'm very pleased with the progress she has made am excited to have her continue using UnLock Pre-Algebra. This is one of the easiest online programs to navigate for both student and teacher. After showing her the initial setup I was able to allow her to work independently without any trouble and check in on her progress at anytime. 
 
UnLock Math
 
While I personally think it is beneficial to complete the unit in order, you also do have the option to skip over lessons which may not be needed. This is a good option if you are using the program to fill missing gaps or for students who are more advance and do not need instruction in certain areas. We will be progressing in order, but I do think this option is beneficial.
 
I have highly recommended this program to several homeschooling friends already who are looking for an online option for higher math levels. I also look forward to giving my girls the opportunity to learn math with this program. UnLock Geometry is the newest of the courses offered and I'm excited to see new courses from this quality company.   
Take a look at what my Crewmates had to say! 
 
Pre-Algebra, Algebra and Geometry {UnLock Math Reviews}
 
Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment