Welcome!

Hi, my name is Melissa. Pour yourself a cup of tea and stay a while. I'm completely devoted to my Savior, madly in love with my husband, and joyously raising my daughters. I'm so glad you stopped by and I hope you enjoy your time here!

Friday, March 7, 2014

Week in Review: March 3-7

So this week had some challenges...with my camera that is! You can probably tell I'm not trying to win any photo awards with this blog. I use a little $100 point-and-shoot, day-after-Thanksgiving sale camera to document our life. It serves my purposes just fine, until it breaks...which it did. Well, not completely, but the battery casing won't stay closed. So now it is taped shut, but it took a couple of days for me to get around to that, so the majority of my pictures are from only one day. At least it was a really good day!


Preparing: Unit 10 (2nd half)
I'm super excited bout how well our week went with this guide. Rose has been begging me to do more work each day (yay for our beginning-of-the year bumps being worked out!). So I told her we'd try the last 2 days at full-speed this week to see what happened. My girl was such a champ and finished her work in record time. When I asked her what the difference was she said, "Well, I just decided I should work diligently because it is the right thing to do." I'll take it!

I really love using the ancient maps from Map Trek. I purchased them last spring during a sale and have found them to be quite useful, especially since the used copy of one of our history books is missing some of the maps. In Preparing we look at where specific locations on historical maps and then locate those same places on a modern  day globe.

This week part of Rose's assignment included reading  particular verse and discussing it with  grown up. She chatted with her Grammy who lives in Florida which was really nice.

Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory: Unit 18


Beth is my little mathematician and she is very much enjoying Math Mammoth. We're filling in some gaps from the old 1st grade curriculum before we plunge ahead into 2nd which should be fairly soon. I really like the self-directed option with this math. While Rose prefers staying close, Bet likes to figure things out on her own. She comes and asks for help when needed, but she does well moving through the work on her own at the moment.

We studied Jesus Bids Us Shine this week for poetry and Beth chose to illustrate the poem. We were blessed to see a chalk pastel presentation over the weekend which inspired all of my girls to be artistic this week! Beth created a lighthouse scene using our own chalk pastels. She spent a really long time working on this piece and was very particular about her shading and blending.

This may be my favorite picture from the week. So relaxed and focused! Ralph S. Mouse was a huge victory for Beth. She has now fully moved into chapter books. At the end of the week she started reading a young reader's version of Anne of Green Gables, one of my all-time favorite novels!



Preschool: Patiently Awaiting the Next HOD Guide!

So sweet little Grace got the short end of the deal concerning the photos. It's actually funny because she's typically my little model. She loves getting her picture taken! I took more than this, but because of my battery casing issue they didn't save. Grace finally adjusted to the "new" way the words are written in Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. She is gradually becoming more fluid as she reads. She's enjoying it so much that on Friday she asked to do a second lesson so she could see what happened next in the story!

There is a little snippet of our week. What did your week look like? 

No comments:

Post a Comment