Welcome!

Hi, my name is Melissa. Pour yourself a cup of tea and stay a while. I'm completely devoted to my Savior, madly in love with my husband, and joyously raising my daughters. I'm so glad you stopped by and I hope you enjoy your time here!

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Colonial Williamsburg: Field Trip

Colonial Williamsburg is one of the places I've been anxiously waiting to take the girls! I wanted them to be old enough to enjoy it and appreciate as much of the history as possible. Rose and Beth have experienced a lot of history already through Heart of Dakota and Grace is soaking in all that her sisters do. This year the homeschool days for Williamsburg seemed to line up perfectly with our schedule. My parents were able to tag along as well which was nice since they have season passes and could offer some advice about which areas the girls would enjoy the most.

The girls each had a colonial dress which was also fun! Beth's was the last to get done. I didn't make any of these and Rose and Grace's were given to us. I found the one for Beth on e-bay. It was very nicely made, but needed some minor alterations including a rather large hem job! I thankfully have a good friend who comes and helps me with sewing projects if I get stuck and she was just so helpful!

I've also been reading the Felicity books to the girls in preparation of our trip. I was hoping to get through more than one book, but now we have first-hand experience in Williamsburg so I think they'll really enjoy the books. Starting next week I'll be doing activities with the girls each Friday along with these books. I'm really looking forward to this and can't wait to share our experiences with you!





Her are some of the highlights of our few days away. I loved that so many of the reenactors took the time to actively engage the girls!
This is the print shop where the girls learned all about printing. They had a cute kitty there too! The paper had to be kept moist for the ink to set. They were surprised how wet it felt!
The Silversmith's shop was LOUD! They said it wasn't normally that loud, but on that particular day the things they were working on all needed hammering!

The nice lady at the apothacary offered to pull Beth's loose tooth, but she politely declined with a, "No thank you!" 


We all enjoyed the music teacher! I guess this is what I would have looked like back then.

Whatever they did, I guess they were in on it together! Rose didn't want any part of the stockades!

They really enjoyed the palace tour and seeing all the weapons in the armory. Grace loved the maze of bushes behind the palace!


My silly soldiers kept laughing and their sergeant was so gruff! Grace got tired of the soldiering after a while, but Rose and Beth were ready to go through training again! 

It really was a lot of walking for my girls in the 3 days we were there, but they really did well! Grace was carried quite a bit of the way, but the weather was cool enough and we had drinks all day long. 


I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the ladies dying the yarn and seeing the workings of the weaving shop. The girls were a bit grossed out by the fact that bugs were used to dye yarn. They were even more disgusted when they found out they still use them in some food dyes! 

I was really surprised how much they loved the model of Williamsburg in the visitors center. Every time we went there they wanted to stop and take a peek!


We all thoroughly enjoyed the tea house. We each had chocolate which needed quite a bit of cream and sugar to make it taste yummy. Next time we go I think I'll try some tea. Grandma and Grandpa really like their coffee. 

I'm sad to say this is our one and only family picture! 

I'm usually really good about making sure we have a few family shots, but I just forgot this time. 

Here are some of the treasures the girls came back from Williamsburg with. Rose loves her quill pen and ink and Beth adores her coloring book of colonial fashion trends! Grace has a sweet little horse and lamb, but was adamant that they did not want their picture taken! 

I hope you enjoyed a little glimpse into our trip! The girls all asked, "When do we get to come back?" That tells me they had a really good time! 

Family Friendly: 10
Kids Engagement: 10 (This sort of depends on their ages!)
Likelihood to return: 10 



4 comments:

  1. Very fun. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been to Colonial Williamsburg in years. I went there on my 8th Grade trip. I would love to take the kids there. So much history to take in. It sounds like your kids had an amazing time. The pictures were fantastic brought back a lot of memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading this last year, and now I'm taking a closer look at this post since we're considering going this fall. Were you able to do the homeschool days at Jamestown as well? If so, did your girls enjoy it?

    My kids will be 3.5, just turned 5, and almost 7 when we go. My oldest is finishing up LHFHG and will begin Beyond in September. I thought it might be fun for him to SEE some of what he'll be studying.

    Did you do anything down there that WASN'T worth your time? Besides drinking unsweetened chocolate ;)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dawn! We did not do Jamestown because we only had a couple of days. We may do that in the near future though.

      The girls all thoroughly enjoyed this trip. They still talk about it several months later. It was a great experience and everyone there was really kind and patient to answer the girls' questions. Make sure you stop by the weavers. The lady there was awesome!

      I can't say there was anything that wasn't worth the time. My youngest doesn't like things that "smell bad" so she had some issues with the shoe shop and being near the horses. She's getting better though! And drinking the chocolate was a lot of fun even though it needed a TON of sugar and cream. It is a lot of walking so you'll need to plan some breaks. Your kids are very close to the age of my girls when we went. They were 8, 6, and almost 4. Let me know if you have any other questions!

      Delete