Our sweet neighbor came over with some apples her son picked while visiting his grandmother. She had seen a recipe I pinned on Pinterest and we decided to give it a try! Here is the final outcome to peak your interest! Are you drooling yet?
We tweaked the recipe, opted out of the brandy-caramel since we don't drink, and learned what to do better next time! So here is our version...
(The recipe is for 2, but we made a bigger batch!)
Friendly Neighbor Caramel Apple Ice Cream Bowl
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
vanilla ice cream
1. Core apples and remove some extra to make a bigger hole.
2. Place in ungreased baking dish.
3. Mix brown sugar and cinnamon, then coat the inside of the apples with mixture
4. Bake at 350 for 15-30 minutes, depending on how soft you like it
5. Fill cooked apples with ice cream and drizzle on caramel.
6. Call the kids and enjoy!
It sounds like a lot of sugar...and it is...but it quickly melt into the bottom of the dish and more steamed the flavor in. The apples weren't overly sweet when they were done. We decided the skin makes it oh-so-pretty, but really wasn't all that yummy to eat. Next time...and there will definitely be a next time...we will peel the apples before serving.
Grace enjoyed helping....and taste testing!
This was our first fall treat of the season. What are some favorites from your kitchen this time of year: