Welcome!

Hi, my name is Melissa. Pour yourself a cup of tea and stay a while. I'm completely devoted to my Savior, madly in love with my husband, and joyously raising my daughters. I'm so glad you stopped by and I hope you enjoy your time here!

Sunday, March 31, 2019

Bringing Comfort, Answering Questions with Adventures in Odyssey Club


Life can be hard sometimes. This week we are both sad and full of joy. My husband's grandmother has gone to be with Jesus. While it is sad to not have her here, she was suffering with dementia for many years and the last several months have been very difficult. And so we rejoice in knowing she has seen her Savior face to face and is having a wonderful reunion with her husband and others who have gone before her. Our last visit with Gram was beautiful and full of sweet memories for all of us, especially the girls. 

June 2016
Still, the concept of heaven and dealing with loss is not always easy for children. One of the blessings of a program like Adventures in Odyssey is they have dealt with a wide range of hard topics including death. While the follow episodes are not ones I would list among my go-to favorites, they are incredibly valuable in facing loss. I've also included 2 which deal with mental illness in this list. They have been excellent springboards for conversation with my children about some very hard things. 




Whit creates and Imagination Station adventure about death. The results are unexpected, and everyone has to deal with the unforeseen aftermath.



Karen, a friend of Donna Barclay's, battles cancer and both Donna and Connie learn how faith makes a difference. 



While Whit and the gang are still trying to keep Novacom at bay, Connie deals with the loss of someone very dear to her. 



Connie's grandmother, a Christian, dies and her family finds out what it means to deal with death as a Christian. Her father must find a way to cope as a non-Christian. 



The story of how Tom Riley's son, Timmy, died is recounted by the person whose life he saved in the process. 


A Lesson from Mike

Julie finds herself unexpectedly affected by the sudden and tragic death of a classmate she did not know very well. 



Danny struggles with the idea of death and eternity after his mother has a miscarriage. 



Connie receives devastating news and, with her friend's support, learns how to trust God in the midst of deep grief. 

Another hard topic Adventures in Odyssey covers is mental illness. This isn't something we like to talk with our kids about, but it is a reality we must sometimes face. I appreciate the delicate way in which has led to some excellent conversations with our kids about depression and other mental illnesses. 



We learn that Tom Riley's wife, Agnes, has been struggling with mental illness for several years. 
(I particularly appreciate this episode and the conversation Whit and Eugene have at the end about this very difficult topic.) 



Tom Riley and Mandy try to decipher what is upsetting Agnes, Tom's wife.



Disclaimer: In exchange for promoting The Adventures in Odyssey Club I receive a membership to The Adventures in Odyssey Club. I am not required to write a positive review. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment