Welcome!

Hi, my name is Melissa. Pour yourself a cup of tea and stay a while. I'm completely devoted to my Savior, madly in love with my husband, and joyously raising my daughters. I'm so glad you stopped by and I hope you enjoy your time here!

Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Adventures in Odyssey: Meaningful for Adults Too

While Adventures in Odyssey is great entertainment for the entire family and is geared towards children, it isn't for children only. There are some audio dramas that my kids love and I do enjoy, but they do not hold as much meaning for me as an adult. Adventures in Odyssey helped me discover a most meaningful verse of Scripture that has seen me through many difficult times when it feels like the Lord isn't listening. 


This album is one of my favorites because of the themes of the stories, but specifically the episode A Glass Darkly has special meaning. In this show Trent DeWhite prays for God to help him with an opportunity he has to try out for a special children's orchestra playing his cello. Everything seems to fall into place, until it doesn't. Despite Trent's good choices and prayer, he continues to be blocked from a good thing because of misunderstandings and false accusations. Even at the end of the episode Trent has no idea why the bad things happened to him that prevented him from being a part of the orchestra. In his discouragement he approaches Mr. Whitaker who reminds Trent that we can't always see the full picture here on earth and we must trust the Lord is at work even when it feels like He isn't listening. He reminds him of 1 Corinthians 13:12...

For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. (NASB)

The most wonderful part of this episode is the closing scene. The listeners get a glimpse of events happening which Trent never learns. We see the hand of God even though he doesn't. It is tempting to feel difficult circumstances are unfair, but who are we to question God's ways? There are somethings things happening behind the scenes we will never know, and if He does show us, it is only by His goodness that it is revealed. 

Christmas Day 2012 - I had surgery 3 days before Christmas to remove a benign tumor discovered in my intestine. This is one of the moments the Lord reminded me of this verse to encourage me. 
This particular episode has encouraged me through surgeries, loss, and just all around bad days that seem to be no fault of my own. While I had read this verse over and over, the deeper truth was revealed to me through this episode. I've had the opportunity to remind my kids of this truth when they are having rough days and trials. Most importantly, this verse has become a part of my testimony I share whenever I have the opportunity. 



Disclaimer: In exchange for promoting The Adventures in Odyssey Club I receive a membership to The Adventures in Odyssey Club. I am not required to write a positive review. All opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment