Welcome!

Hi, my name is Melissa. Pour yourself a cup of tea and stay a while. I'm completely devoted to my Savior, madly in love with my husband, and joyously raising my daughters. I'm so glad you stopped by and I hope you enjoy your time here!

Monday, April 16, 2018

Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy and Physiology from Apologia: A TOS Crew Review

Apologia
 
 Grace is eight. She already has plans to attend a specific college to earn her nursing degree...as long as she can be assured a job where she doesn't have to deal with blood! She thinks blood is gross, but learning about the human body is AWESOME! I asked her if she would like to study this as a regular part of her school day and she started jumping up and down with glee. When Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy and Physiology from Apologia arrived on our doorstep she could not wait to dig into it. 
 
Anatomy & Physiology
 
 Our curriculum pack included the textbook, MP3 audio CD, and both the regular and junior versions of the Notebooking Journal. I loved having access to the entire course for Grace. She is in 2nd grade, but quite advanced for her age academically.I gave her the option of which Notebooking Journal to use and she chose the regular over the junior. I felt this was a good fit as well, but wanted her to make the choice. The older journal is best for students who are already comfortable with handwriting and especially able to write down their thoughts easily. The Junior version is perfect for younger learners who are still in the handwriting learning process but are ready to have focused science instruction.

 
I really like the option of the MP3 audio CD. This is great for kids who process better with auditory learning, are slower readers, have a reading struggle, or just as a n alternative to reading the book! I had Grace read the chapters, but I think this is especially helpful for younger kids who may be studying along with their older siblings. I know very few companies which offer this option with text books and am very impressed by the thoughtfulness of the company on this matter. It is important to note that this is not a direct, word-for-word reading of the text and may not always track exactly with the book. I actually really like this because I can have Grace read the chapter and then listen separately and she won't feel like she is merely listening to what she read.
 
The content is Christ-centered, focusing on God as our Creator. This is very important to me as we keep this focus in our home on a continuous basis. Science is relevant to our every day lives and the way we understand the creation God has given us. The curriculum is filled with incredibly simple, yet satisfying experiments and projects to further her understanding.


The experiments which go hand-in-hand with the learning. I have found that all the supplies I need are usually already in my home, or quite easy to obtain locally at the grocery store. 


 Making a paper "Me" was one of her favorite activities! She was also very excited to go shopping to get the few things we needed to create her own cell model out of food. What an incredibly tangible way  to learn!


 This is a kid who adores written workbooks! I know not every kid loves these, but seriously, this was a highlight of each chapter! She especially liked doing this particular crossword puzzle. We worked on it some together, but she did it mostly by herself. She will tell you that learning vocabulary and spelling words are her favorite school activity anyway, so anytime we incorporate this aspect into a new area she is completely on board. Knowing how much she loves words I can imagine her having the time of her life memorizing the various aspects of the human body she would need to in the medical field.


Grace's desire to study medicine and help others is a reflection of her relationship with Him. While I know this may change, her wonder for how the body works and desire to help others will remain. She will now have a wonderful working knowledge of human anatomy and physiology even at a very young age. If you are looking for a new science course to study or have a budding medical degree in your home, this is a fantastic course for you to pick up! 
 
Check out what my Crewmates have to say!
Apologia - Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy and Physiology Reviews
Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment