Welcome!

Hi, my name is Melissa. Pour yourself a cup of tea and stay a while. I'm completely devoted to my Savior, madly in love with my husband, and joyously raising my daughters. I'm so glad you stopped by and I hope you enjoy your time here!

Monday, August 1, 2016

Girls Slimline Bible - NLT: A Tyndale Blog Network Review

Packaging 

My girls have a fairly extensive knowledge of the Bible between homeschooling, family devotions, and church which includes Sunday morning services, Sunday School, Wednesday night studies, and Awana. For us the Bible is the most important thing in our lives which helps us know how God wants us to live for Him. All three of my children have accepted the Lord as their Savior and we take every opportunity to train them in the knowledge of Him.

We have enjoyed reviewing this sweet Bible directed towards pre-teen girls. It's hard to believe I have another pre-teen in the house, but according to the definition, we do!  I think this would also be a lovely Bible for young teens as well. 

My 9-year-old Beth has been using this Bible recently for Sunday School and church. She says that one of the things she likes is that there is a Bible reading plan. She likes that it is easy to follow and suited just for young kids. I like that it covers both the Old and New Testaments and is not just a topical study. It does not cover the entire Bible, but that would be difficult for a young person to handle in a year. She also loves the look and feel of this Bible. While that isn't the most important thing when choosing a Bible for your child, it is a nice benefit that she loves showing it to people at Church. You can see how it looks, but what you can't see is how it feels. The cover is soft and a little bit fuzzy. My daughter is a very tactile person, so for her this is a huge benefit! 

There is a nice concordance ad a handful of biblical maps at the end. It is a good resource for her in that it is extensive enough to give her several Scriptures for every topic, but not overwhelming for one her age. The print is also a good size. It isn't large, but neither is it so small it is difficult to read. 

The NLT (New Living Translation) is not my preferred version, nor is it the version my husband preaches from, but for young kids still trying to understand what difficult passages in the Bible are talking about I think it is an acceptable choice alongside another version. My only comment about this beautiful looking Bible is that it become available in alternative versions. While I do encourage looking at various translations of Scripture, it can be confusing for kids when they are reading from one version that another person is not. Also because of programs like AWANA which heavily reinforces Scripture memory we like to have the main Bible our kids use be the same version so they have consistency. I would be much happier if there had been more than one version available. 

Disclaimer: I received this product for review. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment