Welcome!

Hi, my name is Melissa. Pour yourself a cup of tea and stay a while. I'm completely devoted to my Savior, madly in love with my husband, and joyously raising my daughters. I'm so glad you stopped by and I hope you enjoy your time here!

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Pressing Pause: A BookLook Blogger Review

 

Moms who are also Christ-followers know we need time alone with God, but between all of the pressures of the mundane and the day-to-day needs we meet on a minute-by-minute basis, taking that time isn't always at the top of our list. I can't even count the times that all my good intentions have been thwarted by bickering littles, monstrous messes, or even simply sleeping through my alarm because of exhaustion. Add to that the seasons we face where weeks go by when sickness seems to be a constant family member. 

The younger our babes, the harder it is to not only find the time to read Scripture, but also keep our minds focused enough to hear from God as we are reading. This wonderful new devotional from Karen Ehman and Ruth Schwenk aims to helps moms reverse this. Pressing Pause: 100 Quiet Moments for Moms to Meet Jesus is ideal for the mom who is trying to regain her footing in spending time alone with God. The short passages are expounded upon alternating between the authors. Real-life examples from each woman's life. At the end of each devotion is a sample prayer and questions to ponder. Finally, there is space to journal your own thoughts after reading.
This is intended to be a way for mom to press pause on their day for just a moment. I think this would have been especially helpful when I was first starting on my mothering journey. Moments with God were hard to create even though it was what my heart desired. I talk to a lot of new moms and I've heard this same thing over and over. 

The title for this devotional is so perfect. My girls are apt to say, "Pause the game!" when they are playing pretend and need to do something in real life for a second. The same idea is here. We need to press pause from the tyranny of the ordinary. If it has been a while since you took some time alone with God this is a great place to start.

Disclaimer: I received this title from BookLook Bloggers in return for an honest review. I was not compensated in any other way. I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment