Welcome!

Hi, my name is Melissa. Pour yourself a cup of tea and stay a while. I'm completely devoted to my Savior, madly in love with my husband, and joyously raising my daughters. I'm so glad you stopped by and I hope you enjoy your time here!

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

For the Soul: I'm tired...

There you go...I said it. I'm really, really tired. I have all sorts of wonderful lovely ideas of what to write about floating around my muddled brain and all I can get out when I start is, well, the truth. A week ago my girls came down with a wicked fever caused by a mean old virus. For a full week I've been checking temperatures nearly every hour, praying for their healing as I watched the numbers slowly creeping up. It was a little scary at times because their fevers went high, like crazy high. You know it's been a high fever when you see 102 and breathe a sigh of relief.

As soon as the pediatrician gave me her most likely guess as to the name of this virus I did what every good modern mother does...Hello Google! In my research here is what I found...

1.  It is highly contagious in the right environment, but not too dangerous in areas kept consistently clean.
2. You are sick before you know you are sick and symptoms don't show themselves for several days.
3. There are no long-term affects from the virus itself.
4. The symptoms mimic other ailments and it sometimes goes diagnosed.
5. There is no treatment for the virus, only symptom management.

Someone once pointed out to me that sickness in the body is a reflection of what sin does to our souls. She was not implying illnesses are always born out of sin, but that the parallels are great. I put her theory to the test and here is what I concluded.

1. When we are consistently in the right environments and keeping our home environment spiritually healthy, we are less susceptible to sin. If we get out of the habit of weekly fellowship with other believers or if our eyes are consistently viewing material which glorifies ungodliness, we're more likely to ignore the promptings of the Holy Spirit. I strive to keep our home environment as germ-free as possible. Am I striving equally to encourage godly thoughts and actions?

2. Satan is sneaky, crafty, wily. He likes to take us off guard and slowly wear down out faith-armor. I don't even realize it most of the time. The temptations come in such sneaky ways I sometimes neglect to realize what they really are. Emotions and energy level are big ways I'm attacked. He tempts me to give into feelings of discontentment and convinces me I have every right to skip out on my morning time with God because I'm just so tired. Guess what? No matter how crafty, wily, and sneaky he gets, I'm still the one responsible for the choices I make, not Satan. I am accountable even though it may take days for me to realize I've fallen prey to these temptations.

3. Temptation is not going to cause long-term issues. However, giving into temptation certainly will. The more I give in, the harder it is to resist. We are given the promise that if we resist the devil he will flee from us (James 4:7), but I forget that one a lot.

4. I don't always recognize my failings as what they are: plain and simple disobedience. All 10 Commandments boil down to relationship with God and mankind. Selflessness is the key to obedience and boy am I guilty of the opposite, selfishness! Yet, I don't recognize it as such. I try to convince myself my actions are justified, but eventually I come to understand I have sinned and must ask forgiveness.

5. Praise God there is indeed treatment for our sinful hearts! Forgiveness and salvation are offered freely to those who seek Him. Although the illness my girls suffered through for a week had to be waited out to run its course, the same cannot be said of a sinful heart.

If you have never asked Christ to cleanse you of your sin and become your Savior, it is very simple and He is waiting to do so! The steps are simple. First, recognize and admit you are a sinner in need of a Savior (Romans 3:23) Next, believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God and came to rescue the word from their sins. (John 3:16) Finally, confess Christ as your Savior. (Romans 10:9) The simplicity of the gospel is clear, yet we make it so much harder than it needs to be.

If you are already a Christ-follower, but find yourself falling prey to Satan's temptations, Christ is faithful to forgive us when we ask! (1 John 1:9) Praise God for His never-ending mercies which are new every morning because I know I need them every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment