Welcome!

Hi, my name is Melissa. Pour yourself a cup of tea and stay a while. I'm completely devoted to my Savior, madly in love with my husband, and joyously raising my daughters. I'm so glad you stopped by and I hope you enjoy your time here!

Friday, May 17, 2013

Week in Review: May 13-17

This was our last week of Heart of Dakota for the year!!!! Well...sort of. I've held off with Grace and Little Hands for a few weeks. I've had something unexpected come up for this summer and I wanted to get school done sooner than I originally planned. So I bumped everything ahead and we have been doing two units of Heart of Dakota in a one week time period. This seems like a lot...and it is! Keep in mind that I do skip a lot of science due to the fact that my daughter takes a three-hour science class each week.

I also just finished up the history readings for Little Hearts for His Glory. It bothered me at first not to do all the activities and I may go back this summer and do some, which would be a lot of fun! I'm not bothered by it anymore though. I know there are times I have to be flexible and homeschooling allows for that. No matter how much I plan and schedule, my good intentions will inevitable be interrupted by sickness, unexpected life events...sometimes even surprises and amazing once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. I like those interruptions best! 

Bigger Hearts for His Glory: Units 33 and 34
We have loved our time in this guide. Rose had learned so much and grown an incredible amount since we began in July. While I intended to do this guide half speed over two years, but after four units I realized she was more than ready for full-speed. Rose's favorite set of units was the ones about The Wright Brothers and their Sister. She enjoyed this history so much I had to stop her from moving on! 

This week she studied more about the Panama canal and we looked at why it completely changed travel and commerce between the west and east coast. Since our studies have focused on American History she completed a map of the United States and its surrounding countries. She did a fabulous job! The proportions are a little funky, but I think this is great for a seven-year-old 2nd grader. 

She also finished up 2nd grade math from Rod and Staff and Wordly Wise 3000 book 2. There is something  incredibly satisfying about finishing a book for all of us. We came to that point in the year when staying focused was difficult. I remember this all too well from my full-time classroom teacher days, but honestly didn't expect it with homeschooling. I think it may have to do with seeing an end in sight. We feel antsy and are so anxious to get to the end that it's sometimes hard to stay the course. 



We are looking forward and excited to start Preparing Hearts for His Glory in August! 

Little Hearts for His Glory: Units 33 and 34
This is my second time through this guide, but I have enjoyed it immensely more. The first time I used it for K-4 as I anticipated never homeschooling my daughters. I really don't recommend this unless you have an incredibly advanced child. Even then I'm not sure I would ever recommend this! 

This time as a K-5 curriculum Little Hearts was a fabulous fit. Beth really started to enjoy history and began asking questions and wanting to know more on her own. This was one of my goals for homeschooling. Learning for the sake of passing a test is not what we want for our children. Yes, I want them to do well as they go through school and remember what they have learned, but more than that I want to encourage a heart for learning and desire to know more. Heart of Dakota is just so good at that! 

Since Beth finished up the 1st grade reading curriculum I've just been having her read books at or slightly above her level and narrating for me. She has really enjoyed this and got  handful of books from my parents which I read at her age. She loves that they were once Mommy's books!




We're looking forward to Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory next year!

Little Hands to Heaven: Off Week
Like I mentioned I took a break from this guide with Grace this week so I could get through everything else with my older girls. She was not happy. My little sweetie loves to learn! I found out this week she has learned to read colors because of spending so much time with a small book about colors. I knew she loved it; I had no clue she was learning words! I plan to start Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons soon and I'll be highlighting our language arts plan at this point. 




I kept her as busy as I could with fun activities, but it seemed I couldn't keep her busy enough! She's enjoyed her year with Heart of Dakota so very much. I plan to finish the guide throughout the summer and we'll be using it again next year for her K-4 year along with reading, pre-K math, and the Rod and Staff ABC series. 





We've also enjoyed reviewing some really great stuff! 


Art... (Review Coming Soon)

Games... (Review Coming Soon)


Sign Language...(Click for Review!)


Be on the lookout for some really run reviews over the next few weeks! 

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your break! It feels good to be done doesn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete