Welcome!

Hi, my name is Melissa. Pour yourself a cup of tea and stay a while. I'm completely devoted to my Savior, madly in love with my husband, and joyously raising my daughters. I'm so glad you stopped by and I hope you enjoy your time here!

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Field Trip: Bennett Place

My dad gave me my love for history. He told me stories that made history alive and gave me the desire to find out more. I had good teachers a long the way, but none could compare to the knowledge my dad gave me. When he called and told me he was going to be participating in a Civil War reenactment at Bennett Place, a Civil War historical site, I immediately made plans for the us all to go! 

This particular reenactment revolved around camp-life for the soldiers. Although I would be interested in seeing a battlefield reenactment one day I don't feel the girls are at an appropriate age for this. The girls thought the tent my dad slept in the night before looked like a lot of fun! I'm not sure I agree, but it was interesting nonetheless. 

A good friend of my dad's is the one who set this up for him. He frequently attends reenactment events. He helps provide period entertainment for the events on his banjo. Beth especially enjoyed this part of the day!
The girls also enjoyed the gentleman who brought toys from this period. They played all sorts of games. Some we already own and others were new. All were fun!

I enjoyed learning a colonial dance...much to my husband's enjoyment! I don't typically participate in a lot of the fun because I'm busy snapping pictures. When I was asked if I wanted to learn a colonial dance, my husband encouraged me to go have some fun, so I did!
Although this wasn't a battle reenactment there was a drill demonstration. Beth and Grace did not like this part, so my sweet husband took photos for me while the younger girls and I stayed at a distance with their heads buried on either side of me. 



The gunfire was loud, but it was a lot of fun to watch the drill! I think my dad did quite a good job for his first time doing this!
The girls had so much fun dressing in their old-fashioned dresses, learning about history, and just experiencing something new. Historical sites hold events throughout the year which can greatly enrich your homeschool. I didn't plan it this way, but we began a unit on the Civil War this week. It is a great way to make history come alive for your kids!






Family Friendly: 10
Kid's Engagement: 10
Likelihood to return: 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment